But, a couple of weeks from now his counts will be back up, and he will have more energy and be able to have more food pumped in. I just hope those couple of weeks don't feel too long to him! Please remember to keep in your prayers, and thank you for them!
Friday, March 12, 2010
Our Sick Little Ben
Well, this last chemo is going out with a bang. For some reason it has made Ben really sick. He has been throwing up quite a bit, and has zero energy - probably partly because I can't run his food over about 15 mLs an hour (which equals about 15 calories). Not a lot of food for a whole day. On top of that, his blood counts came in as low as they have ever been. His red count is almost low enough for a transfusion, and his platelets, which are usually around 120 after he has had chemo, came in at 35. If they drop much lower he will have to receive a platelet transfusion. On top of that, he is neutropenic, which means his immune system is at zero. That alone can make him feel awful. All of that together makes for one sick little boy. He hardly moved all day yesterday, and today isn't much better. Poor little Ben!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Oh it breaks my heart. Poor little Ben. Please give him lots of hugs from Aunt Kathleen. Grandpa used to say that it's darkest before the dawn, and your morning is coming. You are all in our prayers.
ReplyDeleteKids are supposed to play. There is nothing sadder than a sick child and Ben has definitely had enough of sick this last year. I will remember him and your whole family in my prayers and pray that this next stage can go quickly and without any further complications. Laura Rupper
ReplyDeleteTell our hero Ben that we will be praying for him. Can't wait to see him smiling again and I'm sure you feel the same way!
ReplyDeleteAmy (HopeKids)
Aunt Diane is also praying for little Ben,his parents, and all his family. May he now begin to feel better and progress and be able to enjoy life again. Hugs and kisses.
ReplyDeleteI hope you are hanging in there. We still pray everyday for Ben. I hope he begins to feel better soon. My heart breaks when I think how much can a little guy take. I wondered why can't his food be pumped in more than it is? Is it because he is throwing up so much? So many things I don't understand. I'm sure you probably have at least a master's degree in nursing by now. You didn't know you signed up for that profession. We love you guys and hope for the best in the coming weeks ahead. Thanks for taking the time to post.
ReplyDeleteI am so sad this round has been so hard on him and will definitely keep him and your family in our prayers!
ReplyDeleteI can only imagine what he feels like and how hard it is for you to see him this way. My brother just had his bone marrow transplant and he feels similar to little Ben, I am sure. It breaks my heart for both of them that they have to go through this. We pray for you every day. Hang in there, you are on the way up the hill now! We love you,
ReplyDelete~Tiffany and Joseph Hale
Hi Jana, Your trials (and Ben's) never seem to get any easier. This has really been a long haul. Hopefully his energy will return soon.
ReplyDeleteHope you are all doing reasonably well and on to a good week. Think of you so often. Thanks for the updates.
Sending a big hug, Nancy Judd