Friday, November 6, 2009

Sigh...

We have had a couple of rough days. Ben had an MRI scheduled on Wednesday morning, and we had to be at PCMC by 7:15 am. Since he is so young, they sedate him for the MRIs. So, we got there, they sedated him, and he went in for his MRI. Later in the day, after he had woken up, we went up to the Oncology clinic to find out the results. When we got there they told us that instead of imaging Ben's brain and spine, they had only imaged his brain. So, we would have to do the whole thing over again the next afternoon (they can't sedate twice in the same day).

We went home, and unfortunately the sedation medicine made Ben feel very grumpy. On top of that, my two year wouldn't take his nap for some reason, so by 5 pm I had two very grumpy little boys on my hands (bedtime couldn't come fast enough!). I was pretty grumpy myself because of everything that had happened that day, so when Ben's feeding tube accidentally came out as we were putting him to bed, I almost started to cry.

We called the hospital, and they scheduled Ben to go in for a new feeding tube the next morning. I again had to have him up at the hospital early. He got the new tube in, and it was rather uncomfortable for him. I tried to distract him by talking to him, and he was such a little trooper. He is always so patient and good during procedures, even when they hurt. Unfortunately, all of the fishing around in his intestines was more than his little self could handle and it made him throw up. Poor little guy.

A few hours later we were headed to sedation again. Ben wasn't nearly as grumpy when he woke up from sedation the second time, in fact he did very well. When we put him to bed last night he was asleep in about three seconds, he was so tired from the activities of the last two days. And he seems to be tired but doing well this morning.

I would have fallen asleep quickly last night myself if it weren't for the very had headache I had from my stressful two days. I'm still trying to get it to go away.

Ben's MRIs look good, which is always wonderful news. He goes in for his next chemo treatment next week, which is kind of a bummer because we just have his throwing up back under control, and the cycle is going to start all over again.

On a positive note, both his physical therapist and speech therapist (as well as his pre-school teacher) say that he is making excellent progress, and that he is progressing faster than they thought he would. A big smile for that news!

3 comments:

  1. I guess Benson was signed in and I didn't change the account. Hard & happy times in your family right now. I'm glad Ben is doing well with his therapies. I will be calling you to find out how we can help this week. We love you. Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jana, I read your blog frequently and am always amazed how you can state the difficult times, and yet in the same paragraph point out the positive. You are such an amazing example to me.
    Valorie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jana, Are you being treated for your headaches by a doctor? They run in the Norman family you know... If yours are migraines, which I suspect they are, Imitrex pill or injection work great for me. Nothing worse that a headache that won't go away. Love you!!!

    ReplyDelete